Monday, July 4, 2011

Mein Fail

This week I thought I would try something new. We are going to Thailand for our honeymoon, and I wanted to try my hand at some Asian recipes. I had been reading some guide books about Thai cuisine and had no idea that there were such things as rice noodles. So, we picked some up. They are just like regular noddles, but made with rice flour, not wheat flour. I got some chili sauce (it is delicious, I put it in everything now) and some sesame oil, too. I found a recipe for lo mein that I thought would work great. I chopped up all my veggies and chicken beforehand, as the recipe suggested, and got our big pot as hot as I could. And this is what happened as we tried to get the chicken out:


Non-stick my ass.

It was a huge mess. It took two days of soaking just to clean the darn thing, not to mention that we couldn't finish the dish in the pot. So we hauled out our much smaller wok. I could hardly toss everything together in that one, so it never got hot enough and the result was a very mediocre noodle salad, not lo mein.

I guess you can't win them all. This is not my first attempt at Asian food, and it won't be my last. I just hope that at some point I'm able to make something edible.

Question of the Day: What is your favorite Asian dish?

No comments:

Post a Comment