Let's talk a bit about where I get my food. Most of it comes from the Ralph's Grocery Store 3 blocks from my apartment. Some select items come in large packages from Costco. But most of the produce in my house comes from the Sunday Farmer's Market in Brentwood. It is 1 mile away, just the perfect distance for an invigorating Sunday morning bike ride. I love the market. About half of the market is comprised of produce, prepared food (artisan olive oil and hot sauce) and floral vendors. A quarter are what I call lunch vendors, with everything from tamales (chili and cheese is my fave) to gyros to gourmet crepes and cupcakes. And the last quarter are clothes, hats (one of which is super cute and I have my eye on and will purchase one day when I have $150 to spare), jewelry and kiddy games.
After going to the market almost every Sunday since I've moved here, I've developed a strategy to get the most out of it. It is about two blocks long on a single street; I enter at one end and I don't buy anything as I walk to the other end. I just look. Nearly all the vendors sell the same thing, or a variation of the same thing because they only really sell what is in season. Right now, carrots and turnips are giving way to artichokes and asparagus. In the winter, squash and citrus dominated. Late fall I found and fell in love with figs, but that is a whole other post in and of itself. And then on the return trip I buy what I want from the places that have the best prices and the best looking produce. Here is what I bought today:
What a beautiful spread! There are lots of things that I love about shopping at the market. First, I'm not a farmer, and I have only a vague idea as to what is in season when. However, since all the vendors are local (I'm not sure how close "local" actually means. But compared to brining in food from Chile or Argentina in the exact opposite season you are supposed to get a food item, I'm thinking this is super local. As in from the same state in which I live) I know that the food is in season in my area. And, if you have ever had a tomato from your garden versus one in the middle of winter that was shipped in from the Southern Hemisphere, you know that "in season" = "super tasty and delicious". The second reason I love the market is that they give you free samples. Not sure if you want a bartlett or an asian pear? Give them a taste! Maybe you even like the bosc best! Not sure how a bacon avocado tastes? Eat it! And finally, there is just something hippy and awesome about carrying around your market bag outside on a beautiful morning, smelling the freshly cut flowers and the aromas of grilled meat all around. I love markets so much that when I travel I always try to make it to the outdoor markets. I have some epic stories from markets in Spain that includes large legs of pig and Austria that includes garlic stuffed olives.
Today the best part of the market may have been the ride home. I wish Mike had been around to take a picture (he was at softball practice) because I can only imagine how silly I looked on my bike, in my helmet, with a large backpack on with a baguette sticking out the top. Classic.
I'm introducing a new feature to the blog: the question of the day. Today's question: What is best purchase (food or otherwise) you've ever made at an outdoor market? Please discuss.

My favorite alltime thing about living in Davis, CA was the farmers market. It is not just a market but an event. Before moving to Davis, I had no idea that tomatoes and nectarines were sweet and juicy. Oh, how I miss Wed evenings and Saturday mornings at the Davis Farmers Market. The best thing I purchased at the Davis Market was a great canvas bag for my fruits and veggies that reads "Davis Farmers Market". It is a wonderful reminder of a great time in my family's life. Enjoy a walk through the sun-filled market for me Megan!
ReplyDeleteLinda, I had the great pleasure of visiting the Davis Farmer's Market one time. Mike bought me tri-tip sandwich that he had raved about on numerous occasions. It was quite good, but what impressed me most was all the local produce. We had nothing like that in suburban Atlanta. I'm glad you still have a memento that reminds you where food really comes from.
ReplyDelete